Friday, June 24, 2011

Mulberry Street Moment

I was happy to get up early than usual Sunday morning.  I knew it was going to be a good day; President Eyring and President Packard from the LDS church were coming to visit my humble church house to offer a dedicatory prayer on its building completion.  So when I woke up early, I was bright and happy.  I took a bowl of corn chex and milk out to the front porch and sat to enjoy the wonderful, sunny, and warm Sabbath weather.  I sat and enjoyed my cereal and the calm of the neighborhood. However I did notice some action taking place at house number six.  There were a couple of black vehicles with dark windows.  A black vehicle with dark windows was not uncommon for number six though, the mayor of New York City's mother lived there and would often visit by way of a black automobile.  However, it was unusual that two black vehicles were parked out front.  Next I noticed two men dressed in suits walking from the car to the house, still not unusual because the mayor would bring security guards.  But then I saw the men carry a stretcher into the house, now this was unusual.  Very unusual.  Like watching a movie, I sat waiting for the next scene.  What could be going on?  Five minutes later the two men in suits emerged from the house with the stretcher along with someone else riding covered in a red sheet.  And then the unusual activity made sense.  The mayor's mother, who celebrated her 102 birthday in January, had passed away sometime in the night.  The two men in suits and two vehicles with dark windows had been from the funeral home.  It's not everyday you have such a story - and to think that I saw it on Mulberry Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment