Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Earthy Shish Kabobs

Yesterday I was feeling domestic.  I came home from work, went for a run,  nearly passed out, and started dinner preparations.  I cut the peppers, the onions, the Italian squash (What is zucchini?  The recipe asks for zucchini but I have never had any luck finding it in the market.  I don't think it exists.), and the chicken.  I alternatively speared the veggies between chicken for a total of six kabobs.  Marinated each skewer individually with a special marinade and took them out to grill.  Unfortunately, while I was preparing my kabobs, the barbecue decided to blow out its fire; so what I thought was a hot and ready grilling machine was a cold propane intensive explosive devise.  Oops.  Good thing there were no small with children playing with matches nearby, that could have lead to something much worse then a cold grill. I turned the propane off, let the grill air out a bit before I tried to ignite it a second time.  The ignition button on the barbecue gets stuck so I was rapidly pushing the button causing the entire grill to shake.  My kabobs were sitting and waiting patiently to be placed on the hot grill but my efforts of trying to ignite the barbecue caused a sad death of the kabobs.  The extreme shaking motion of igniting the grill cause the plate to slip off the grill deck and kabobs to land point-side-in the dirt.  There they were, in a straight line, all six of my lovely kabobs sticking straight out the ground like a couple of stakes pounded into the dirt.  Dang.

So what did I do?  I picked each kabob out of the ground, brushed it off a bit, cleared away as much mud as possible and put them on the grill once I got the stupid thing hot and ready.

I guess a bit of dirt never hurt anyone, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment